How to Choose a Good Trainer
We know many of you added a new four legged friend to your family over the holidays. Now is the perfect time to think about teaching the new dog a few tricks and pleasant manners around people and other animals.
Training your dog should be fun! A skilled and professional dog trainer employs humane training methods which are not harmful to the dog and/or handler
A competent instructor will allow and encourage you to observe a class prior to making the decision to enroll. In a well-run class, dogs and people will be enjoying themselves and having a successful learning experience. Look for an instructor who is approachable and who encourages participants to have a good time. If space permits, an instructor should welcome and encourage all family members and others who interact with the dog to attend class.
A skilled class instructor will:
- Provide a clear explanation of each lesson.
- Demonstrate the behavior(s) that students will be teaching to their dogs.
- Give students ample time in class to begin practicing the day’s lesson.
- Assist students individually with proper implementation of techniques.
- A skilled and professional trainer will encourage dialogue and be courteous to both canine and human clients alike.
Remember, a well behaved dog makes a happy owner!
Article information courtesy of http://www.apdt.com/po/ts/choose_trainer.aspx